Interactive teaching - Using educational games and new technology in order to enhance learners motivation
Language used for the training and materials: English
Teachers of different subjects
Career Officers, Educational Guides and Counsellors
Head teachers/managers of organisations offering adult education
Description of the training event
This course has been designed for teachers of different subjects who wish to find out new interactive methods of teaching. It provides both computer and non-computer based games in order to equip the participants with practical ideas to create an effective and attractive learning environment.
A key driver for organising this training event is represented by the general opinion that young people are increasingly engaged with the games culture outside school rather than the school in itself. We can state that education has a lot of goals but, in fact, very few people would consider “to be fun” as one of its main goals. What we think is “no pain, no gain.” And this is exactly what we intend to improve in our training event.
Technology provides numerous tools that teachers can use in and out of the classroom to enhance student learning and help them stay engaged. As they are ‘proficient’ users of mobile devices it seems only logical to align today's classrooms with the way our students are used to learning. But incorporating online tools into classroom experience is not always an easy task. How do we know which online tool is the best solution for our classroom need? Why would we invest time and energy in something that might end up in adding even more work?
We will try to solve this by first introducing a list of the best tools designed to support teaching and learning and then work with those which are most popular and useful. We chose them based both on our teaching experience and that of our participants. Moreover we made sure they are free, valuable for teaching and work on most devices.
Combining new technology with traditional classroom instruction can without any doubts enhance the learning experience and create new opportunities for teachers and students together.
- Previous to the beginning of the training the granted participants will be sent the detailed programme of the course along with a pre-departure support consisting of the necessary information required to reach destination and to successfully manage within the course period in the new country.
- Participants will be asked to fill in a questionnaire regarding their backgrounds and needs. Questions will refer to their interest and experience in educational games, WEB 2.0 tools, their teaching backgrounds, ability of using a computer, level of course language.
- Competences required to attend the course: -Basic knowledge of main PC programmes (windows-word) and use of internet; Knowledge of the language course. (For teachers with lower level of English we also offer English and New Technology course)
- To promote and develop awareness of interactive teaching methods (educational games and WEB 2.0 tools)
- To learn how WEB 2.0 tools can support learning
- To experience the positive effects of interactive teaching methods in increasing students' motivation
- To provide multicultural environment for sharing experience related to the use of interactive methods of teachings
- To improve communication skills by working collaboratively in transnational groups.
As a result of attending this training course, the participants will become more creative in their teaching and they will be able to design materials that are motivating and attractive by using computer (WEB 2.0 tools) and non-computer based activities. At the same time they will gain more confidence as users of English.
- This course will focus on the potential WEB 2.0 tools and educational games have to create engaging student activities.
- Participants are expected to play an active role. They will work and create their own teaching materials during the course period.
- Classes will be taught in a very practical way based on the “learning by doing” principle which is expected to stimulate attendees to make use of the newly acquired information.
- During the last part of the course participants will share their own teaching experience related to educational games and/or WEB 2.0 tools.
- An evaluation questionnaire will be given to the participants so as to gather participants' opinions about the training and its contents, logistic organisation, instructors, materials provided and asses to which extent the course managed to improve participants' competences in the field of interactive and innovative teaching.
This course contains the following modules:
- Module 1: Educational games in the classroom;
- Module 2: WEB 2.0 tools (Games and activities online)
- Module 3: Interaction beyond the classroom walls - Outdoors Activities
- Module 4: Sharing experience; participants introduce their own teaching activities
Detailed information regarding the programme and preparation for the course will be sent to granted participants.
For the course period participants will need a laptop or a tablet. For more participants from the same school, one laptop for two people may be possible, too.
Our team will assist the participants with necessary information required to reach destination and to successfully manage within the course period in the new country.
Course fee: EUR 70 per day per participant. We provide both 5 and 7 day sessions. For groups of 5 participants we offer one free of charge place for available sessions.
Accommodation, meals, social programme are not included in this price. For accommodation, we recommend the most convenient possibilities, but the participants are free to choose.
The opportunities to visit the city and the neighbourhood will be introduced to the participants before the beginning of the course.
Message for the future participants:
Sharing experience will be an important part of the course. It starts with the opening session when you are kindly asked to present the main aspects of your school. Please, bear in mind that your presentation should not exceed 5 minutes. If time allows, be prepared to answer questions about your educational system and/or country.
For registration please check the sessions below.
06.02.2016 - 12.02.2016; Konstanz/Zurich - HELD (participants from Italy, Spain, Romania, Lithuania)
09.05.2016 - 13.05.2016, Sinaia, Romania - HELD (participants from Portugal, Czech Republic, Romania and Turkey)
11.07.2016 - 15/17.07.2016; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Spain, Portugal, Germany, Romania, Greece, Slovenia)
18.07.2016 - 22/24.07.2016; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from France, Germany, Spain, Slovakia, Hungary, Guadeloupe)
05.09.2016 - 09/11.09.2016, Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Greece, Germany, Poland, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Lithuania, Italy, and France)
07.11.2016 - 11/13.11.2016; Konstanz/Zurich - HELD (participants from Poland, Spain, Greece, Norway, Romania, and Turkey)
06.02.2017 - 10/12.02.2017; Konstanz/Zurich - HELD (participants from Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Spain, Romania)
17.07.2017 - 21/23.07.2017; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, and Spain)
28.08.2017 - 01/03.09.2017; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Greece, Italy, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain)
02.10.2017 - 06/08.10.2017; Konstanz/Zurich - HELD (participants from Romania, Turkey, Sweden, Hungary and Russia)
05.03.2018 - 09/11.03.2018; Konstanz, Germany - HELD (participants from Greece, Italy, Poland, Romania)
25.06.2018 - 29.06/01.07.2018; Konstanz, Germany - HELD (participants from Finland, Spain, Romania)
16.07.2018 - 20.07.2018; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Austria, Croatia, Cyprus, France, Greece, Germany, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Romania and Spain)
21.07.2018 - 25.07.2018; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Belgium, France (Reunion), Germany, Greece, Italy, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Romania, and Spain)
27.08.2018 - 31.08/02.09.2018; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain)
04.02.2019 - 08/10.02.2019; Konstanz, Germany - HELD (participants from Czech Republic, Greece, Romania, Spain)
24.06.2019 - 28/30.06.2019; Konstanz, Germany - HELD (participants from Italy, Spain, Romania)
08.07.2019 – 12/14.07.2019; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Bulgaria, Croatia, Germany, Greece, Polond, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain)
15.07.2019 – 19/21.07.2019; Oslo, Norway - HELD (France/Reunion, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Poland, Spain)
19.08.2019 – 23/25.08.2019; Oslo, Norway - HELD (participants from Austria, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain)
14.10.2019 - 18/20.10.2019; Konstanz, Germany - HELD (participants from France, Italy, Latvia, Serbia and Spain)
28.10.2019 - 01/03.11.2019; Valletta, Malta HELD (participants from Croatia, France, Hungary, Portugal, Romania and Spain)
03.02.2020 - 07/09.02.2020; Konstanz, Germany - HELD (participants from Bulgaria, Italy, France and Spain)
20.04.2020 - 24/25.04.2020; Konstanz, Germany - POSTPONED
27.04.2020 - 01/03.05.2020; Paris, France - fully booked - POSTPONED
29.06.2020 - 03/05.07.2020; Konstanz, Germany - CONFIRMED (participants from Croatia, Italy, Spain, Poland) - PENDING
06.07.2020 - 10/12.07.2020; Paris, France - CONFIRMED (participants from Portugal, Romania, Spain) - PENDING
20.07.2020 – 24/26.07.2020; Oslo, Norway - CONFIRMED (participants from Greece, Spain, Portugal)
10.08.2020 – 14/16.08.2020; Oslo, Norway - CONFIRMED (participants from Croatia, Germany, Slovenia, Spain, Portugal)
28.09.2020 – 02/04.10.2020; Rome, Italy
12.10.2020 - 16/18.10.2020; Konstanz, Germany
02.11.2020 - 06/08.11.2020; Valletta, Malta
01.02.2021 - 05/07.02.2021; Konstanz, Germany
26.04.2021 - 30.04/02.05.2021; Paris, France
28.06.2021 - 02/04.07.2021; Konstanz, Germany
05.07.2021 - 09/11.07.2021; Paris, France
19.07.2021 – 23/25.07.2021; Oslo, Norway
09.08.2021 – 13/15.08.2021; Oslo, Norway
27.09.2021 – 01/03.10.2021; Rome, Italy
11.10.2021 - 15/17.10.2021; Konstanz, Germany
01.11.2021 - 05/07.11.2021; Valletta, Malta
Comments from our participants: